August/September Banned Books Order List
The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf
Are You There God, It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
This Book Is Gay by Juno Dawson
Book Bans Are On the Rise Across the U.S.
We support people’s freedom to read what they choose – but not to dictate what other people’s children may read. We respect teachers and librarians as professionals who make books available, with the developmental levels of children in mind.
Our Banned Book Initiative
Our goal is to offer customers the opportunity to create community in support of the freedom to read, our local bookstore, and Lincoln’s Little Free Libraries.
Every two months, we’ll create an Order List with a selection of Banned/Challenged Books – one picture book, one chapter book, two YA/adult books, and one non-fiction title. We’ll include a brief synopsis of each – along with reasons why, and an abbreviated list of places where, the books were banned or challenged.
How to Get Involved
1. Help write cards of appreciation that we’ll give to folks who purchase books to donate.
*We have cards! Write one while you’re in the shop – or take some to write with your book club or your friends & family.
2. Purchase books from our Order List – at our store or over the phone. W-Sat, 12-6. (402) 475-8663.
*Pay when you place your order. Let us know if you’d like to receive the books or if you’d like to donate them to Lincoln’s Little Free Libraries.
*Optional – write a message for the next reader on a sticker we’ll place inside the cover.
*Receive a handwritten note from a community member who appreciates your donation!
3. Volunteer to help apply message stickers and/or help deliver books to Lincoln’s Little Free Libraries.
4. Suggest titles for our future Order Lists of Banned/Challenged Books.
5. READ, THINK, & DISCUSS BOOKS!